Organisations, groups and individuals you may need to contact
- Anyone who lives outside of the area that may not see the press notices and who you may wish to notify about the funeral arrangements.
- Credit cards will need to be cancelled
- Bank and building society accounts need to be closed and joint accounts need to be amended. It may be prudent to review direct debits and standing orders to see what may need to be cancelled/amended.
Cars & Insurance
- If the policy is in the name of the deceased, you will not be legally entitled to drive, even if you are a named driver.
- You should return the driving licence to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB
- You may need to send in vehicle registration documents to change the name of ownership
- There may be equipment to be returned to social services or the district nurses
- Any outstanding hospital or doctors appointments will need to be cancelled
- Government agencies such as the Inland Revenue, Department for Work and Pensions. Any social security payments into the deceased’s bank account will need to be cancelled. If the deceased was paying any National Insurance Contributions these will need to be cancelled.
- Contact the local council to cancel any housing benefits and so they can amend the council tax records
- Gas, electric, water, telephone, internet and mobile phone companies will all need to be contacted and contracts amended or cancelled.
- Any store or loyalty cards will need to be cancelled
- Consider investments and insurance policies. Premium Bonds are not transferable. You may need to consider seeking the advice of a solicitor or financial advisor
- Repeat prescriptions will need to be cancelled with the pharmacy
You may also need to cancel
- Milk, meals on wheels, newspapers, home help, and any outstanding appointments, such as the hairdresser, chiropodist, dentist or optician.